These gingerbread whoopie pies are so fun, seasonal and delicious. The fluffy texture of the whoopie pies and creamy filling are a lighter and smoother alternative to traditional gingerbread cookies.
- 10 ounces all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/2 cup dark molasses
- 2½ teaspoons ground ginger, or more to taste
- 1¼ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1/3 cup boiling water
- 2½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/4 cup butter, room temperature
- 1/4 cup marshmallow crème
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- colored sprinkles, for garnish
- 12 holiday candies, for garnish
For the batter:
1. Preheat oven to 350 F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
2. Combine flour, white sugar, molasses, ginger, baking soda, cinnamon and salt together in a large bowl. Mix in vegetable oil and egg until combined. Pour in boiling water and whisk until smooth.
3. Drop dough in balls onto prepared baking sheet, about 1 inch apart, using a 1-ounce cookie scoop.
4. Bake in the preheated oven until puffed and golden, about 12 minutes. Allow to cool on the pan for about 5 minutes before transferring onto a rack to cool completely.
For the filling:
1. Beat the powdered sugar, cream cheese, butter, marshmallow crème and vanilla extract in the bowl of a stand mixer on low, until combined. Increase speed to high and beat until light and fluffy.
2. Spread about 3 teaspoons of filling onto the bottom of a cookie; top with another similarly sized cookie. Repeat with remaining cookies.
3. Pour sprinkles across the sides of the cream filling and garnish with small holiday candies.