Gingerbread Syrup (makes about 2 cups)
- 2 tablespoons peeled and chopped ginger
- 1 tablespoon whole cloves
- 1 teaspoon whole allspice berries
- 1 cinnamon stick, split in half
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1¼ cups water
- 1½ parts rye whiskey
- 3/4 part gingerbread syrup (recipe above)
- 1/2 part freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Soda water
- Lemon slice, for garnish
- Freshly ground nutmeg, for garnish
Cinnamon, allspice and nutmeg make this cocktail the perfect Christmas sipper. It tastes like a sparkling bite of gingerbread in a glass.
Swap option: Use ginger ale instead of soda water if you prefer a sweeter drink. You can also omit the alcohol to make this a mocktail.
For the gingerbread syrup:
Combine all the ingredients in a small saucepan and bring to a boil. Lower heat to a simmer and let cook for 10 minutes. Let cool and strain.
For the cocktail:
Combine the whiskey, gingerbread syrup and lemon juice in a shaker. Shake and strain into an 8- to 10-ounce Collins glass. Top with soda water and garnish with a lemon slice and nutmeg.