- 4 cups water
- 4 bags hibiscus tea, such as Badia brand
- 2 tablespoons fresh ginger, peeled and grated
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Mint infused simple syrup
- Ginger ale, to taste
- Ice cubes, for serving
- 4 lemon wedges, for garnish
- 4 springs fresh mint, for garnish
This mocktail is a typical agua fresca in Mexico made from hibiscus flowers. I added my twist with a bit ginger because it is delicious combo.
Note: The recipe calls for mint-infused simple syrup. It's easy to make your own infused simple syrups, which are also great for sweetening iced tea and cocktails.
Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Remove from heat and add the hibiscus tea. Let stand 5 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the tea bags, pressing hard on the bags.2.
Transfer to a heatproof pitcher and stir in the ginger, lemon juice and simple syrup. Refrigerate until chilled, at least 4 hours.3.
Pour into 4 ice-filled glasses, top with ginger ale and garnish each with a lemon wedge and mint sprig, and serve immediately.