This recipe has so much meaning. Not only was it the first cupcake I baked the morning I opened the original Gigi’s store in Nashville, but I also made it for gifts every Christmas season. When I had my cleaning business I didn’t have much money, but I wanted to show my clients my appreciation. I would bake this in little bread tins and tie them with a ribbon along with a card of Christmas blessings.
Technique tip: Avoid overcooking by inserting a toothpick to check for doneness. When it comes out clean, the bread or cupcakes are done.
- 4 ripe bananas, mashed
- 2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs, beaten
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 2½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups chopped pecans
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- If making cupcakes: Your favorite store-bought or homemade frosting
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease 2 loaf pans or muffin tins.
2. In a large bowl, hand mix the bananas, sugar, eggs, and oil until well blended.
3. Add the flour, baking soda, and salt and mix until combined.
4. Fold in the pecans and chocolate chips.
5. Divide the batter evenly in the prepared pans or muffin tins.
6. Bake for 25 to 35 minutes. (If using muffins tins, bake for 15 minutes.) If a toothpick comes out clean, they're done!
7. If making cupcakes, once cupcakes are completely cooled, spread each cupcake with frosting.