- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped rosemary
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped thyme
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon Kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 2 pounds stew beef, trimmed and cut into 2 inch chunks
- 1/2 cup Marsala wine
- 1 pound kabocha squash, peeled, seeded and chopped into 1-inch pieces
- 1/4 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes
- 3 cups beef broth
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped parsley
- Crusty bread, for serving
Slow cooker beef stew with kabocha squash gets an Italian spin with the addition of Marsala wine and chopped sun-dried tomatoes.
Chef's Note: The stew will take 4 to 8 hours, depending on the slow cooker setting.
Heat the olive oil in a large saute pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, garlic, rosemary and thyme and cook about 2 minutes until it the onions are tender.2.
Place the flour, salt and pepper in a large bowl. Add the beef and toss gently to coat.3.
Add the beef to the pan and cook, turning occasionally until the beef is browned and golden around the edges, about 5 minutes.4.
Add the wine and use a wooden spoon or spatula to scrape up the browned bits from the bottom of the pan.5.
Transfer the beef mixture to the slow cooker. Add the squash, sun-dried tomatoes and broth; stir to combine. Cover and cook on high for 4 to 5 hours or low for 8 hours until the beef and squash are tender.6.
Top with a sprinkle of parsley and serve with crusty bread.