- 1 head radicchio, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large or 2 small Belgian endives, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 head Treviso or baby frisée, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 2 cups baby arugula
- 1½ tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice, from 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
Chicories, like radicchio, endive and Treviso, are no shrinking violets; their mildly bitter edge makes them assertive enough to stand up to even boldly flavored entrées. The lemony dressing adds brightness to any heavy meal.
Technique tip: You can prep the leaves ahead of time, but don't dress them until you're ready to serve or the arugula will become limp and soggy.
Swap option: You could add any bitter green to this salad like kale, dandelion or mustard greens.
In a large bowl, combine the radicchio, endive, Treviso, arugula, lemon juice, olive oil and salt.
Use your hands to toss the greens gently and coat them evenly with the dressing.