The combination of creamy texture and cheesy flavor is never a bad thing. This comforting side comes together in just minutes using only one pot.
Technique tip: Be sure to whisk as you add the polenta to reduce clumping.
Swap option: Instead of chicken stock you can use vegetable to make it vegetarian.
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, smashed and peeled
- 1½ cups quick cook polenta
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated pecorino cheese
- 8 ounces mascarpone cheese
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 5 ounces baby spinach, roughly chopped
1. In a Dutch oven, bring the chicken broth, water, olive oil and garlic to a boil over medium high heat. Reduce the heat to medium low and whisk in the polenta. Season with the salt and cook for 5 minutes; stirring occasionally with a wooden spoon.
2. Stir in the Parmesan, pecorino, mascarpone and butter. Cook for 3 minutes stirring often.
3. Fold in the spinach and cook until wilted, about 3 minutes longer. Remove from the heat and serve immediately.
Reprinted from Giada's Italy: My Recipes for La Dolce Vita. Copyright © 2018 by GDL Foods Inc. Photographs by Aubrie Pick. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers, an imprint of Penguin Random House LLC.
TODAY has affiliate relationships, so we may get a small share of the revenue from your purchases. Items are sold by the retailer, not by TODAY.