Who doesn't love crispy fried food? This mix of fried seafood and vegetables is a classic Italian dish that's perfect for Feast of the Seven Fishes or any dinner party.
- 1 gallon canola oil
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup semolina
- 1 tablespoon powdered onion
- 2 tablespoons powdered garlic
- 2 tablespoons paprika
- 1/2 pound calamari, sliced
- ½ pound bay scallops
- 1/2 pound medium shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 1 cup julienned zucchini (skin on)
- 1 cup julienned yellow squash (skin on)
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 lemons, each cut in half
1. In a deep fryer, heat the oil to 400°F. Keep the oil at this temperature until you are ready to deep fry the seafood and vegetables.
2. Mix together the flour, semolina, powdered onion, powdered garlic, and paprika. Add salt and pepper to taste.
3. Toss the seafood and julienned vegetables in the flour mixture until they are completely coated. Deep fry until golden brown. You can fry them in any order; just don’t overcrowd the fryer.
4. Place the fritto misto on a serving platter, sprinkle with fresh parsley, and season with salt to taste. Garnish the platter with the lemon halves. Serve warm.