Gathering around the TV for game day? These fried chicken skewers from Elizabeth Heiskell are a great snack — no utensils needed!
Swap option: Use chicken thighs instead of chicken breasts.
Equipment needed: Deep fryer or large, deep pot for frying, mixing bowls, 10-inch skewers
- 6 chicken breasts, cut into 2 inch square pieces
- 6 10-inch skewers soaked in water for at least an hour
- 4 eggs, well beaten, seasoned with 1 teaspoon salt and pepper
- 4 cups flour
- 4 new potatoes, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 4 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 2 teaspoons seasoning salt
- 2 teaspoons Greek seasoning
- 1 jar dill pickles
- High-heat oil for frying (canola, peanut, soybean, sunflower oil)
In a large bowl whisk salt and pepper into eggs.
In medium bowl combine: flour, Cajun seasoning, seasoning salt and Greek seasoning.
Place chicken pieces, potato slices and pickles in egg mixture.
Skewer in this order: chicken, potato, pickle.
Once skewer is filled, dredge in flour mixture until all ingredients are covered.
In a deep fryer heated to 375F, place skewers and fry until skewers float to top. If you don’t have a deep fryer, use a deep pot, being sure to fill it with oil no more than half full.
After frying, place on plate lined with paper towels.