This decadent French toast is incredibly easy, and fun, to prepare. Prep it the night before and you'll have the best breakfast on the planet the next day.
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, plus more for greasing
- One 1 ¼-pound challah loaf, sliced 1-inch thick
- 6 large eggs
- 2 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups mixed frozen berries
- Confectioners’ sugar, for dusting
- Warm maple syrup, for serving
1. Butter a 9-by-13-inch oval baking dish. Arrange the bread in the dish in slightly overlapping layers and then scatter the berries around the bread and under some of the slices to distribute them.
2. In a large bowl, beat the eggs with the milk, sugar, vanilla extract and ½ teaspoon of salt. Pour the egg mixture over the bread, gently pressing the bread to submerge it. Cover with plastic and refrigerate overnight.
3. Preheat the oven to 350°. Uncover and bake for about 45 to 50 minutes, until the center is set but slightly jiggly.
4. Let stand for 10 minutes, then dust with confectioners’ sugar and serve with warm maple syrup.