This recipe is a combination of a few different styles of garlic soup that I have seen over the years. This recipe, which we now serve at Cane and Table, is comforting, simple and fairly inexpensive to make. At the restaurant, we serve it with some high-quality sourdough bread, which we make into croutons, plus a poached egg for some richness.
- 1 cup garlic, sliced thin
- 1/2 cup shallots, sliced thin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons smoked paprika
- 2 cups fino sherry
- 6 cups chicken stock
- Salt, to taste
1. In a medium-sized pot, slowly toast garlic on a super low flame with olive oil until it turns dark brown.
2. Add the shallots and paprika. Add sherry and reduce liquid by three-quarters.
3. Add chicken stock and simmer for 20 minutes. Add salt to taste.
4. Portion soup into bowls and, if desired, top each serving with a poached egg. Serve with a few slices of toasted sourdough bread.