- 1½ pounds hake or cod fillets cut into 1- by 3-inch fingers (approximately 12 fingers)
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg
- 1½ cups panko breadcrumbs or regular breadcrumbs
- Fine sea salt and freshly ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 head broccoli cut into florets, approximately 1-inch in size
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup finely diced pickle
- 2 tablespoons capers, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dill, chopped
Make enough of these flaky, lightly fried fish fingers for the grown-ups to eat as well as the kids. They're so simple and delicious; everyone will want a bite!
For the fish fingers:1.
Place flour and breadcrumbs each on separate large plates, and then beat the egg in a bowl until well mixed.2.
Season fish fingers with fine sea salt and pepper then dredge in the flour, shake of excess, then place in the egg mixture and coat well. Remove from the egg mixture and then gently dredge in the breadcrumbs.3.
Place a large nonstick sauté pan over medium-high heat and add 2 tablespoons of canola oil, working in batches of six, gently place the fish fingers in the pan and sauté for 2 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Remove to a rack over a sheet tray. Repeat with remaining fingers.
For the broccoli:
Place 1 quart of water in a large pot over high heat, bring to a boil. When the water is boiling, add 1 tablespoon of fine sea salt then add the broccoli florets. Cook for four minutes and drain.
In a separate large sauté pan add the butter and the broccoli florets and gently mix, cook until warm and butter coats the florets.
For the tartar sauce:
Place all ingredients in a bowl, mix thoroughly, and set aside.
Divide fish fingers between 4 plates along with broccoli, serve the tartar sauce on the side.