- 1 cup jicama, shredded
- 1 cup red cabbage, shredded
- 1/3 cup red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 chipotle peppers in adobo
- 36 medium shrimp
- 1 tablespoon ancho chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 36 marinated shrimp (recipe above)
- 6 corn tortilla shells, warmed
- 3 cups jicama slaw (recipe above)
- 2 cups diced pineapple
- 3 scallions, chopped
- 1/2 cup white onion, diced
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
This is a delicious shrimp taco recipe that you could prepare outdoors during a beautiful summer day by the pool with friends and family.
Technique tip: Make sure your pan is hot to keep the shrimp from sticking to it. Also it gives it a them a beautiful crust on the outside.
Swap option: You can substitute soft flour tortillas for the crunchy corn tortilla shells. You can also use chicken or pork instead of shrimp if you prefer.
For the jicama slaw:
Combine all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix thoroughly.
Cover and let stand in the refrigerator for 1-2 hours before serving for best results.
For the marinated shrimp:
Finely mince the chipotle peppers into paste-like consistency. Add to a mixing bowl with the shrimp, chili powder, salt and pepper. Toss to coat the shrimp.
Cover and let stand in the refrigerator for about an hour.
For the tacos:
Heat the vegetable oil in a large sauté pan, over medium-high heat.
Sauté the shrimp in small batches to not over crowd the pan. Sear evenly on both sides and remove from heat when fully cooked, about 2 minutes per side.
Place 6 shrimp into the bottom of each warmed tortilla shell. Top evenly with the jicama slaw, diced pineapple, chopped scallion, diced onion and chopped cilantro. Serve immediately.