Whole grain mustard and a variety of fresh herbs add wonderful taste and texture to this summery potato salad.
- 2 pounds fingerling or small red bliss potatoes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chicken or vegetable stock
- 3 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon whole grain mustard
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 8 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch scallions, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
- 2 tablespoons chopped marjoram or oregano
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
Put the potatoes into a large pot of salted water, bring to a boil, and then cook for 15 to 20 minutes, until they are just cooked through. Drain in a colander and place a towel over the potatoes to allow them to steam for 10 more minutes. As soon as they are cool enough to handle, cut the potatoes into 1-inch pieces and place in a bowl. Toss gently with the lemon juice, stock, vinegar, mustard, salt and pepper. Allow the liquids to soak into the warm potatoes before proceeding.
Combine the olive oil, scallions and herbs in a blender and puree until just combined. Toss the herbs and oil with the potatoes and serve warm or cold.