Nothing beats a classic ballpark-style hot dog on a summer day. If you can't get to the stadium, this is the next best option. It has all the field-side flavor of a frank you'd buy at the game, but you get to enjoy it in the comfort of your own home.
Technique tip: Boil hot dogs in beer or use a beef bouillon cube in the water for more flavor.
Sweet Pickle Relish (makes 1½ cups)
- 1¾ cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon celery seed
- 2 teaspoons mustard seed
- 2 cucumbers, seeded and finely diced
- 1 cup finely diced onion
- 1/2 cup finely diced poblano pepper
- 1/2 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- 1 kosher all-beef hot dog
- 1 hot dog bun, split top
- 1 teaspoon ballpark yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon finely minced onion
- 1 tablespoon sweet pickle relish (recipe above)
For the sweet pickle relish:
In a large pot, combine sugar, salt, vinegar and seeds. Bring to a boil. Add vegetables. Bring back to a boil and simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and chill.
For the hot dog:
Boil hot dog for about 4-5 minutes, or until warm, and steam bun for about 30 seconds. Placehot dog in bun and cover with mustard, onion and relish.