The beauty of this salad is in its simplicity. Each ingredient has the chance to show off its full flavor and shine through.
- 4 fennel bulbs
- 1 head celery
- 3/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 3/4 cup shaved Parmigiano Reggiano
- 3 lemons, juiced
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
1. Split the fennel bulbs in half and remove the cores. Thinly slice them (about 1/8-inch thick) on a mandolin or with a knife.
2. Break apart the head of celery into stalks. Remove the leaves and set aside. Chop the celery leaves.
3. Peel the outer stalks of celery and slice on a bias about 1/8-inch thick.
4. Put the fennel and celery in a mixing bowl. Add the nuts, cheese, lemon juice and olive oil. Toss in the celery leaves and mix everything together. Season to taste with salt.