Refreshing mint adds a cooling element of surprise to this salad. The Moroccan flavors in the dressing will delight your guests.
Technique tip: To save time, prep everything the night before and mix all together except for dressing and pita. When you are ready to serve, mix in the dressing and add the pita.
Swap option: Add in protein, feta or tzatziki if you like. Also, the tomatoes and onions can be grilled prior to adding for a depth of flavor.
Moroccan seasoning (makes 1/3 cup)
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1 tablespoon ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon dried garlic powder
- 2 tablespoons ground turmeric
- 2 tablespoons crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/4 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Three 6-inch whole-wheat pitas, cut into bite-size pieces (2 cups)
- 1 teaspoon Moroccan seasoning (recipe above)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon Moroccan seasoning (recipe above)
- 1 head romaine lettuce, washed and chopped (6 to 8 cups)
- 2 cups cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 hothouse cucumber, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced radishes
- 1 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- 1/4 cup chopped mint
For the Moroccan seasoning:
Mix all ingredients together and store in an airtight container in a cool dark place.
For the pita chips:
1. Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Mix together the cut-up pita bread with the Moroccan seasoning and olive oil until combined.
3. Spread the pita pieces evenly on the baking sheet, and bake until golden brown with crispy edges, about 10 minutes. Set the pita chips aside to cool.
For the dressing:
Whisk together all the ingredients for the dressing until completely emulsified, and set it aside to let the flavors blend. The dressing will separate as it sits, so whisk it together again right before serving.
For the salad:
Place the romaine, tomatoes, cucumber, radishes, red onion, parsley, and mint in a large serving bowl. Top the salad with pita chips, and drizzle with dressing, or serve the dressing on the side as desired. Serve immediately.
Excerpted from "Real Life Dinners: Fun, Fresh, Fast Dinners" by Rachel Hollis. Copyright © 2018 by the author and reprinted by permission of St. Martin's Press.
TODAY has affiliate relationships, so we may get a small share of the revenue from your purchases. Items are sold by the retailer, not by TODAY.