Everything bagel seasoning is the perfect topping for sweet potato fries. It adds a salty finish to the sweet fries. The honey is almost dessert like over the savory fries. Each bite packs so much flavor, and the best part is you don't have to feel guilty eating these guys.
Technique tip: Make sure to cut the fries as even as possible, to ensure they all cook at the same time. Move the fries half way through the bake so the spices toast from all sides.
Swap option: Soy bean oil for the olive oil, is a much cleaner tasting option and sweetness of the potato really shines more.
Cherry Tomato and Peach Ketchup (makes 4 cups)
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 small red onion, chopped
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 2 pounds (6 cups) cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 peach, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon celery seeds
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1½ teaspoons kosher salt, plus more as needed
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
Sweet potato fries
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, skin on
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoon everything bagel spice
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoons honey
For the cherry tomato and peach ketchup:
1. In a large heavy-bottomed pot or Dutch oven over medium-high heat, add oil. When oil is shimmering, add onion and garlic, cook until soft and translucent, about 2 minutes.
2. Add tomatoes and remaining ingredients. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring regularly, until the mixture reduces into a thick chunky sauce, about 8 minutes.
3. With a hand blender, blend tomatoes to a blended but still slightly chunky texture, strain, taste and adjust seasonings. Let cool for at least 3 hours.
For the sweet potato fries:
1. Preheat oven to 425°F and line a large rimmed baking sheet with parchment.
2. To prepare the potatoes: Using a sharp knife, cut potatoes into long planks and then slice them into stick-shaped cuts (roughly 1/4- by 1/4- by 2½-inches). Spread the potatoes onto the prepared baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil and bagel spice toss to coat and spread them evenly on the sheet. Season the sweet potatoes with salt and pepper.
3. Transfer to the oven and bake, flipping potatoes with a spatula halfway through, 25-30 minutes or until brown and crispy. Taste and adjust seasoning with salt and pepper, plate and drizzle the hot fries with honey.