English muffin pizza is a favorite in my household. I used to make them with my grandmother but have passed this tradition onto my daughter. Also, it's delicious.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 pinch dried oregano, or to taste
- One 28-ounce can tomato puree
- 3 English muffins, split in half
- Pizza sauce (recipe above)
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup grated pecorino cheese
For the pizza sauce:
In a saucepot, over medium-high heat, add the olive oil and sauté the minced garlic. Add salt, pepper, oregano and the tomato puree, and stir to combine. Bring sauce to a boil then reduce to a simmer and let cook for 20 minutes.
For the pizzas:
1. Toast English muffins for a few minutes until dark golden brown, about 5-10 minutes. Remove toasted muffins and let cool for a few moments.
2. Coat the muffin with sauce and layer them with shredded mozzarella cheese.
3. Place back in the oven or under broiler for a few minutes until the cheese melts. Remove and sprinkle with pecorino cheese.