- 2 cups seedless raisins
- 6 cups sifted flour
- 3 teaspoons caraway seeds
- 3 cups buttermilk
- 1 cup margarine (2 sticks)
- 6 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Rinse raisins in hot water, and then drain well.
2. Sift together all dry ingredients. Cut in margarine until a coarse, mealy consistency.
3. Add buttermilk, raisins and caraway seeds. Stir all ingredients.
4. Turn dough into a greased 8-inch round cast iron skillet and make a crisscross on the top.
5. Bake in preheated oven on 400 degrees F for 1 hour or until golden. Test with a toothpick (a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread should come out clean). Serve with sweet cream butter or clotted cream (clotted cream is a very thick cream available at some grocery stores and gourmet food stores).