TODAY Table is sponsored by Walmart. Our editors independently created this recipe. If you purchase the ingredients through our links, we earn a commission. Learn more about Shop TODAY.
- 1/4 cup hoisin sauce
- 3 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 5 tablespoons canola oil
- 3 small to medium eggplants, cut into small chunks
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 scallions, white and light green parts only, very thinly sliced, plus more for garnish
- 1 tablespoon peeled and minced fresh ginger from a 1 1/2 inch piece
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- Toasted sesame seeds for garnish
In a small bowl, whisk together the hoisin sauce, soy sauce, sesame oil and rice vinegar.
In a large sauté pan or wok, heat 3 tablespoons of the canola oil over high heat. Add the eggplant and stir-fry until tender, 6-8 minutes. Transfer the eggplant to a plate or bowl and keep nearby.
Return the pan to high heat and add the remaining 2 tablespoons canola oil. Add the garlic, scallions and ginger and stir-fry until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Return the eggplant to the pan and stir to combine. Add the hoisin sauce mixture and stir to coat the eggplant. In a small bowl, whisk the cornstarch into 3 tablespoons water, making sure the cornstarch is fully dissolved, then add it the pan and stir until the sauce is thickened, about 30 seconds. Transfer to a serving bowl and garnish with sesame seeds and additional scallions.
Serve this stir-fry over white or brown rice to turn it into a main course.