There is no better way to wake up on Christmas morning than to the scent of warm baking spices. Assemble this easy breakfast bread pudding the night before then pop it in the oven to bake while you open presents.
- 1 loaf brioche bread, cut into 1-inch thick slices
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
- 3½ cups eggnog
- 1 cup whole milk
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 6 eggs
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1 pinch salt
- Ground cinnamon sugar
- Butterscotch sauce, homemade or store-bought
1. Coat a 9- by 12-inch baking dish with butter.
2. Butter the brioche slices and toast until lightly golden. Set aside to cool, then cut into cubes. Place into the prepared baking dish, spreading them out evenly.
3. In a bowl, whisk together the eggnog, milk, sugar, eggs, vanilla extract, nutmeg and salt.
4. Cover cubed bread with evenly eggnog mixture. Cover and refrigerate for at least 1 hour or overnight.
5. Preheat oven to 350°F.
6. Bake uncovered for about 50-55 minutes or until a cake tester inserted in the center comes out clean.
7. Let rest for 10-15 minutes then serve with warm butterscotch sauce and cinnamon sugar.