This recipe is perfect if you love to eat cookie dough straight from the bowl!
Technique tip: Toasting the flour in the oven both heat treats it to make it safe for consumption and gives it a slightly deeper, nuttier flavor!
Swap option: Feel free to change it up and add in your favorite candies, toppings, etc!
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1/4 cup mix-ins, such as chocolate chips, mini marshmallows, crushed cookies, etc.
Peanut butter cup variation
- 3 tablespoons peanut butter
- 2 peanut butter cups, chopped
- 5 tablespoons white sugar (omit the brown sugar from the cookie dough recipe above)
- 1 tablespoon sprinkles
Funfetti birthday cake variation
- Pink food coloring
- 1/4 cup chopped birthday cake sandwich cookies
- 1 tablespoon rainbow sprinkles
For the cookie dough:
1. Place the flour in a microwave safe bowl, then microwave at 30 second intervals, whisking after each interval to break up clumps. Continue until flour reaches 160 F. This should take about 60-90 seconds total. Alternatively, sprinkle the flour over a parchment paper lined baking sheet and toast at 350 F for 10 minutes. Let the flour cool before continuing.
2. Whisk together the flour, baking soda and salt to combine.
3. In a separate bowl, combine butter, sugar, and brown sugar. Mix in vanilla extract and milk.
4. Add dry ingredients and mix until only streaks of flour remain. Add in desired mix-ins, and mix until fully combined.
Peanut butter cup: Add peanut butter to the wet ingredients and mix in chopped peanut butter cups.
Unicorn sugar cookie dough: Add a total white sugar (omitting the brown sugar) to the wet ingredients. Scoop out heaping tablespoons of batter into three separate bowls and dye one of each color: pink, blue and purple. Swirl colored batter into sugar cookie dough along with sprinkles.
Funfetti birthday cake: Dye about 1/4 cup of cookie dough with pink food color and swirl into the rest of the mixture. Stir chopped birthday cake cookies and rainbow sprinkles into the prepared dough.