Baking this pull-apart french toast is so much easier to make than cooking individual slices.
Swap option: This French toast can be made with challah instead of artisan bread.
- 1 loaf round artisan bread
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1 cup fresh raspberries and blueberries
- Pure maple syrup for serving
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, mix together the eggs, milk and vanilla.
3. Cut the bread into grid-like sections without slicing all the way through. Place the cut loaf in a heavy, oven proof skillet (cast iron works well) that is just bigger than the bread.
4. Pull apart the bread to create crevices and pour the egg mixture into the bread, making sure it gets deep into the slits of the loaf.
5. Sprinkle with the sugar and cinnamon and then bake it for 30-40 minutes.
6. When it's done, let it cool for a few minutes then serve it with berries on the side and a cup of maple syrup for dipping.