- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, finely chopped
- 8 ounces cooked chorizo or kielbasa, sliced into pieces
- 1 (7-ounce) ham steak, chopped (about 1 ¼ cups)
- 1 (12-ounce) jar roasted red peppers, drained and finely chopped
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can diced tomatoes
- salt and pepper
- 1 (1 pound) bag saffron rice, like Vigo yellow rice
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 pound large shrimp, peeled
- 1 (10-ounce) package frozen peas, thawed
- ¼ cup chopped parsley (optional)
1. In a large sauté pan (with a lid), warm oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and chorizo; stirring occasionally, cook until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
2. Into the sauté pan, stir in ham and roasted red peppers. Cook for just a couple minutes. Add tomatoes, salt, pepper and saffron rice—stir to combine ingredients together. Pour in chicken broth.
3. Bring mixture to a boil; cover with lid or a double layer of foil over the entire pan. Reduce heat to low or medium-low so mixture is at a simmer. Cook until broth is absorbed, about 20 minutes.
4. Remove lid or foil and gently stir in shrimp and peas. Cover and cook until shrimp are pink, about 6 minutes. Garnish with parsley, if desired, and serve.