Turn the classic combination of sausage, peppers and onions into an easy Italian breakfast casserole that the whole family will love.
- 1 8-ounce package hot Italian sausage
- 1 medium sweet onion, thinly sliced
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and sliced
- 2 cups spinach, roughly chopped
- Salt and black pepper
- 2½ cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 8 large eggs
- 1½ cups milk
1. Preheat oven to 325°. Remove and discard casings from sausage. Cook in a large skillet over medium heat, stirring until sausage crumbles. When the sausage is no longer pink, drain. Add onions and peppers and sauté until tender, about 3 to 4 minutes. Add the spinach and cook for another 2 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
2. In a lightly greased 9-inch by 13-inch casserole dish, pour in the sausage mixture and sprinkle in half the cheese. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs and milk. Pour the egg-and-milk mixture over the sausage mixture and sprinkle the remaining cheese. Bake for 45 minutes or until bubbly and hot. Serve.