Impress your sweetheart on Valentine's Day with this rich chocolate fondue. Or get all your friends together for a Galentine's Day treat — and stir up a batch. Feeling extra saucy? Make it adults-only with a splash of your favorite liqueur. Just make sure to use high-quality chocolate for the creamiest, smoothest fondue.
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 8 ounces chopped bittersweet or semi-sweet chocolate (about 1 1/3 cups)
- 4 ounces chopped white chocolate (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 tablespoon amaretto, hazelnut liqueur, or vanilla extract
- Fruit, marshmallows, squares of pound cake or angel food cake, cookies, and/or pretzels
1. Heat the cream in a small saucepan over low heat just until steam rises from the cream and bubbles from around the edges.
2. While the cream heats, melt the butter and all the chocolate chips in the top of a double boiler. Stir constantly to melt the chocolate until no lumps remain.
3. Whisk in the warm cream, stirring gently but evenly until the cream is fully incorporated. The fondue may "break" and separate briefly; keep stirring and the chocolate will re-incorporate into a smooth sauce.
4. Whisk in the liqueur or extract.
5. Transfer to a fondue pot set over a Sterno burner and serve with fruit, marshmallows, cake, cookies, and/or pretzels for dipping.