These tinga-style tostadas are topped with shredded chicken but feel free to substitute pork, beef or any other ingredient you prefer. Save extra time by using store-bought rotisserie chicken.
- 2 tablespoons corn oil
- 4 white onions, sliced
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons canned pureed chipotles
- 5 Roma tomatoes, chopped with seeds and skin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- Cooked chicken, shredded
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Store-bought canned refried beans, warmed for serving
- 4 corn tostadas (large deep fried corn tortillas)
- Romaine lettuce, shredded, for serving
- Sour cream, for serving
- Queso fresco, crumbled, for serving
In a large pan, heat the oil over medium-high heat and sautee the onion. Add the sugar and caramelize the onions. Add the chipotle paste and sauté for about 1 minute. Add the chopped tomatoes and cook until the tomatoes are cooked fully and the sauce is thickened. Add the oregano, cilantro and chicken. Stir to combine. Season with salt and pepper.
Spread the beans over the tostadas, top with the chicken, shredded romaine lettuce, sour cream and crumbled cheese. Serve.