- 3 beets, peeled and sliced
- 3/4 cup cooked cold quinoa
- 2 handfuls arugula, chopped
- 1 stalk green onion, diced
- 1 clementine or other seedless orange, peeled and sectioned
- 2 tablespoons pistachios (or walnut pieces)
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt to taste
Beets are a highly nutritious root vegetable that play a role in improving cardiovascular health. They’re also a brilliant color and make for a gorgeous salad! The quinoa adds complete protein and fills your tummy; the oranges add citrus sweetness and the pistachios add a perfect crunch to top it off!
Place a steamer insert into a saucepan, and fill the pan with water to just below the bottom of the steamer. Cover the pan and bring the water to a boil. Add the beets to the steamer, cover the pan and steam until the beets are just tender, 7 to 10 minutes. Set aside and allow to cool.
Whisk the Dressing ingredients together in a small bowl. You can also use a similar store-bought version if you prefer.
In a larger bowl, combine the quinoa, chopped arugula, green onion, orange sections and beets.
Add 3 tablespoons of the dressing—the rest is to be stored in the fridge for another meal—and toss. To garnish, sprinkle the pistachios on top.
Reprinted with permission from The Sexy Weeks to Sexy Abs Meal Plan by Ella Magers, Page Street Publishing Co. 2015.