- 1 box (1 pound) pasta of your choice (I prefer cavatappi, elbow or fusilli)
- 1 can (6 ounces) black olives, sliced
- 1 can (15 ounces) chopped tomatoes
- heaping handful flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
This is my go-to recipe for summer barbecues. It's super easy, we usually have all the ingredients on hand and it can sit out for a while without spoiling. There are a few things my mom makes that are so my mom, and every bite reminds me of her. I loved summer barbecues at our home when I was growing up — with my parents and my brothers and eventually my brothers' wives and kids. I still can close my eyes and remember the smells, the sounds, the feelings and the tastes as we all gathered around our kitchen table. It's nostalgia at its finest for me and this recipe stirs up all those feelings. It tastes even better when I visit my mom and she makes it!
Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain and let cool. Toss everything together with a few large glugs of olive oil. Season well with salt and pepper. Best served cold.