My son, Calvin, loves to bake! While he'd prefer if I made cupcakes and cookies all the time, I like to try to work in some zucchini breads and banana breads. I just feel a little less guilty giving him sweets if I know it's chock full of zucchini.
I used to have a zucchini plant when I lived in Boston and I had more zucchini than I knew what to do with, so I used this recipe and kept the extra loaf in the freezer for a snack anytime! Calvin will eat it whenever he's in the mood. I love it warm with coffee in the morning!
- 3 eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup applesauce
- 2 cups white sugar
- 2 cups grated zucchini
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup (or more) chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
2. Grease and flour 2 loaf pans.
3. In a medium bowl, beat eggs until light and frothy. Add the oil, applesauce, sugar, zucchini and vanilla, and stir to combine.
4. In a separate bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
5. Blend the dry ingredients into egg mixture. Stir in chocolate chips.
6. Divide batter between prepared pans.
7. Bake 70 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out clean.