Using a dry rub for turkey gives the bird great flavor without the hassle of brining.
- 1/2 cup Kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons course ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons lemon zest, grated
- 2 tablespoons orange zest, grated
- 1 tablespoon ground pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon fennel seeds, chopped with a knife
Combine all the ingredients in a small bowl.
Place turkey on a baking sheet with a rack. Pat dry with a paper towel.
Rub turkey all over with the dry rub including under the skin where possible and also in the cavity.
Leave uncovered in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
Remove from fridge and wipe off any excess rub.
Bake the turkey in your preferred way.