This recipe is a New Orleans favorite. Of course, in NOLA even the fruit gets tipsy! These cherries are delicious on their own, but they make for a to-die-for Old-Fashioned. The preparation is really easy since it takes just 10 minutes of hands-on work, and eight hours to chill.
- 2 orange peel strips
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup bourbon
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup thawed frozen or fresh pitted cherries (about 16 cherries)
1. Place the orange peel strips and sugar in a 1-pint jar with a tight-fitting lid.
2. Using the back of a spoon, muddle until the peel releases juices.
3. Add the bourbon and vanilla.
4. Cover with the lid, and shake vigorously until sugar dissolves.
5. Remove the lid, and add the cherries.
6. Cover with the lid and chill 8 to 12 hours.
Store at room temperature for 3 months or in the refrigerator up to a year.