I love this recipe because it has loads of flavor and is super simple to prepare. The zesty marinara sauce, aromatic garlic and fresh herbs give it a distinctly Italian twist.
- Four to six 8-ounce shell steaks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 5 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
- 1 jar marinara sauce
- 4 teaspoons dried oregano
- Fresh oregano or flat-leaf parsley, for garnish
1. Season the steaks on both sides with salt and pepper.
2. Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat until hot, but not smoking.
3. Sear the steaks on each side, in batches if necessary, until very deep brown, about 3 minutes. Drain the fat from the pan.
4. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil and heat until hot. Add the garlic, and sauté until golden (about 1 minute). Add marinara sauce and season with salt and pepper. Cook about 15 minutes, until the sauce thickens.
5. Return the steaks and any accumulated juices to the pan, add the oregano, cover and cook to the desired doneness.
6. Place each steak on a plate and spoon a bit of sauce on top. Garnish with herbs and serve.