These French toast sticks make breakfast fun and crafty. Get the kids involved for a true family affair in the morning.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Softened butter, for greasing
- 8 slices good-quality white bread, sliced into 1-inch thick sticks
- 1 cup sugar mixed with 2 tablespoons cinnamon
- Warm maple syrup, for dipping
1. Heat a large griddle over moderate heat and grease it with butter.
2. In a shallow bowl, beat the eggs with the milk. Dip the sticks in the egg mixture and add them to the griddle.
3. Cook, turning once, until browned and crisp, about 5 minutes total; grease with more butter if needed.
4. In a medium bowl, mix the sugar with the cinnamon. In batches, add the hot French toast sticks and toss to coat.
5. Transfer to cups or plates and serve with warm syrup, for dipping.