Top creamy deviled eggs with savory bacon jam for a party-perfect bite.
Bacon jam (makes about 1¾ cups)
- 16 ounces smoked bacon, chopped
- 6 cups chopped yellow onions (from 3 medium onions)
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 1½ teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 12 large eggs
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon pickled okra brine
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 dashes hot sauce
- Fresh thyme leaves
- Fresh basil leaves, chopped
For the bacon jam:
1. In a Dutch oven, cook the bacon over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the bacon is just crisp, 12-15 minutes. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon, and drain on a paper towel-lined plate, reserving 1 tablespoon of the drippings from the pot.
2. Add the onions to the hot drippings and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until the onion is slightly caramelized, about 12 minutes. Stir in the cooked bacon, vinegar, brown sugar, water and mustard seeds. Reduce the heat to low, partially cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the mixture is the consistency of jam, 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in salt and pepper.
3. Let the jam cool to room temperature, about 30 minutes. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.
For the deviled eggs:
1. Fill a large saucepan with water to a depth of 1 inch; fit with a steamer basket, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Add the eggs to steamer basket; cover and steam until firm, 12-14 minutes. Transfer the eggs to an ice bath; let stand until chilled, 3-5 minutes. Peel the eggs.
2. Cut the eggs in half lengthwise, and remove the yolks, reserving whites. Place the yolks in a bowl, and mash with a fork. Add the mayonnaise, okra juice, mustard, salt, pepper, and hot sauce to the yolks; stir until smooth.
3. Pipe or spoon the yolk mixture into the egg white halves. Serve immediately with bacon jam. Garnish with thyme and basil leaves.