- 1 1/2 cups warm water (about 110 degrees F)
- 1 (1/4-ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 3 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup semolina flour
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil, plus extra for bowl
- 1 teaspoon salt
1. In a large bowl, combine the water, yeast, and sugar and stir to combine. Let sit until the mixture is foamy, about 5 minutes. 2. Add 1 1/2 cups of the flour, the semolina, 1/2 cup of the oil, and the salt, mixing by hand until it is all incorporated and the mixture is smooth. Continue adding the remaining 2 cups flour, 1/4 cup at a time, working the dough after each addition, until all the flour is incorporated but the dough is still slightly sticky. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth but still slightly tacky, about 5 minutes. Oil a large mixing bowl with enough oil to generously coat. Place the dough in the bowl and turn to oil all sides. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and set in a warm, draft-free place until nearly doubled in size, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Divide into 2 equal portions and use as directed.