- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground turkey
- Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1½ teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 (15-ounce) can cannelini beans, rinsed
- 1 (8-ounce) jar mild salsa
- 1 clove garlic, finely grated
- 8 soft corn tortillas
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and diced
- Fresh limes, for garnish (optional)
I love tacos! This healthier version is one of my favorites because the beans and turkey are packed with protein and the spices add a ton of flavor. You get all the goodness of a taco and don't feel like you're missing out on flavor.
Technique tip: To keep your tortillas warm, microwave dry rice in a large bowl until warmed, place a kitchen towel on top and wrap warm tortillas inside.
Swap option: Use flour alternative tortillas like almond or cassava flour.
In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, add olive oil. Add ground turkey meat a pinch of salt, spices and herbs, breaking up into small pieces using the back of a wooden spoon. Cook until golden brown, about 5-7 minutes. Reduce the heat to medium, add beans, salsa and garlic and simmer for an additional 5 minutes.2.
Preheat griddle on medium-high heat, add tortillas, and char on both sides, about 2-3 minutes.3.
Spoon turkey into a charred corn tortilla, sprinkle with cheddar cheese and garnish with avocado and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.