- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 pound thinly sliced bacon
- 1½ tablespoons bourbon
- 2 teaspoons light brown sugar
- freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup mayo
- 2 tablespoons minced celery
- 1/4 cup diced white onion
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon celery salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 pounds cooked Dungeness crab meat
- 6 potato rolls, buttered and toasted
These crab rolls are so great because they keep the summery feel of a seafood sandwich but also have the fall flavors that make them perfect for the cooler weather. Brown sugar and bourbon give bacon a warm, welcoming flavor boost while the fresh crab makes the sandwiches light, bright and exciting.
For the Bourbon Bacon:
In a very large skillet, melt the butter. Add the bacon and cook over moderately high heat until browned on the bottom, about 2 minutes. Turn the bacon and add the bourbon and brown sugar. Cook over high heat, stirring a few times, until the whisky is slightly reduced, about 30 seconds. Season with pepper and remove the skillet from the heat.
For the crab rolls:
In a bowl, combine mayo, celery, onion, lemon juice, salt, celery salt, pepper, paprika and cayenne.
Gently fold in crab meat. Using a 1/2 cup scoop, portion the crab mixture between the toasted rolls. Add in the Bourbon Bacon and serve.