Chocolate and peanut butter are unarguably the perfect pair. The dynamic duo is, hands down, one of my favorite combos, so I'm extra excited to strut their stuff in a frozen sandwich format.
Swap option: If you don't have time to make your own non-dairy chocolaty ice cream pick up a healthy store-bought brand at the market for easy assembling (there are so many great ones to choose from).
Dairy-Free Chocolate Ice Cream
- 4 ripe bananas, peeled and frozen
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup lite coconut milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pinch salt
Ice Cream Sandwiches
- 6 chocolate graham cracker squares
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 3/4 cup dairy-free chocolate ice cream
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup mini dark or semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup roasted, chopped peanuts (optional)
For the dairy-free chocolate ice cream:
1. Whisk together the cocoa powder, coconut milk, vanilla and salt in a small bowl.
2. Break the frozen bananas into large chunks and place in the bowl of a food processor along with the chocolate mixture (if your bananas have been in the freezer for longer than a day, it's best to thaw for about 10 minutes before pureeing). Blend well, stopping to scrape down the sides often to get a smooth, even consistency.
3. Place in the freezer for at least 30 minutes to firm up and. Then remove to assemble your sandwiches.
For the ice cream sandwiches:
1. Spread peanut butter on 3 graham cracker squares, then top each with 1/4 cup chocolate ice cream (homemade or store-bought).
2. Place the remaining graham cracker squares on top and gently press down, creating 3 perfect ice cream sandwiches.
3. Dip all four sides of each in an optional combo of chopped peanuts and mini chocolate chips. Enjoy immediately or wrap each ice cream sandwich snuggly in plastic wrap and freeze for at least 30 minutes to firm.