I love this recipe, because I can make it with a baby strapped to my chest! The flavor profile is amazing, it's so easy to prepare and the simple slaw adds some extra pizzazz. Word to the wise: Don't tell people this is dairy-free and wait to see their reaction when they eat it.
Technique tip: Put a baking sheet underneath your casserole dish in case it boils over, then you do not have to clean your oven. To keep everything moist, the chicken should be on the bottom. It prevents the casserole from drying out. If your lemons are firm, zap them in the microwave for 10 seconds and then juice.
Swap option: Switch out refried black beans for refried pinto beans and you can easily substitute the chicken, with any cooked meat like ground beef, steak, carnitas or whatever you prefer.
- 1 store-bought roasted chicken, shredded (about 5 cups)
- Two 10-ounce cans mild red chili sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic paste
- Two 15-ounce cans refried black beans
- One 7-ounce can diced green chilies, drained
- Two 5-ounce cans sliced black olives, drained
- 6 cups tortilla chips, slightly crushed
- One 14-ounce can fire-roasted corn, drained
- 2 medium avocados, diced
- 1/2 head green cabbage, finely shredded (about 5 cups)
- 1 fresh jalapeño, seeded and diced (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/2 red onion, finely diced (about 1 cup)
- 6 lemons, juiced (about 3/4 cup)
- 4 teaspoons garlic salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 bunch cilantro, chopped (about 1/2 cup)
For the casserole:
1. Preheat your oven to 400°F.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the pulled chicken, red chili sauce, garlic salt and garlic paste, and mix until incorporated evenly. Layer chicken in the base of a baking dish.
3. Next, layer beans over the chicken. Then the crushed tortilla chips, followed by the corn then chilies, and olives last.
4. Cover baking pan with plastic wrap, then foil. Place in oven and bake for 30 minutes.
5. Uncover baking pan. Set oven to broil. Cook on the middle rack for another 6-10 minutes to get crispy, depending on your broiler. If you do not have a broiler cook on highest temperature your oven goes to.
For the slaw:
In a bowl add diced onions, jalapeño, garlic salt, black pepper, and lemon juice. Let sit for 5 minutes. Then stir in cabbage and cilantro. Set aside until ready to serve.
Remove baking pan from oven. Garnish with diced avocados. Cut and serve with slaw.