This is Italy's version of the humble bologna sandwich! I've gussied up this childhood favorite with Italian mortadella, peppery arugula, tangy mustard and rich olive oil.
Technique tip: Since sandwiches can be so simple, like this one here, it is important to ensure each ingredient is carefully curated and selected with the highest standards.
Swap option: Small ciabatta loaves make a good substitute for the stecca.
- 1 stecca roll
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 5 ounces very thinly sliced mortadella (with pistachios)
- 1/2 cup baby arugula
- extra virgin olive oil
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
1. Cut stecca roll lengthwise in half and spread Dijon evenly over cut sides of roll.
2. Shingle mortadella across bottom half of roll. Scatter arugula over mortadella.
3. Drizzle with olive oil then season with salt and pepper.
4. Slice in half and serve.