Hot popovers fresh from the oven are a true treat. They pair perfectly with a savory roast for sopping up juices and are also great to serve slathered with sweet butter for brunch.
- 1½ tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1½ cups whole milk, room temperature
- 4 large eggs, room temperature
- 1⅔ cups unbleached all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1½ tablespoon unsalted butter, melted
1. Position rack in center of oven, allowing enough room above rack for popovers to rise, and preheat oven to 425°F. Brush softened butter thickly over 6 cups of popover pan and preheat pan in oven for 3 minutes, or until very hot.
2. Meanwhile, in blender, blend milk, eggs, flour, salt, and melted butter to form smooth thin batter.
3. Divide batter among cups of hot pan and immediately return to oven. Bake 35 minutes, or until popovers are puffed and deep golden brown. Serve immediately.