About the recipe: If you have a food processor with a shredding blade, you're 5 minutes away from a super slaw with tons of crunchy bite! This light, refreshing side dish (which, by the way is mayo-free!) is a perfect match for our soy-honey-garlic chicken, but it definitely can stand on its own as a buffet side or as a base for your favorite chopped salad.
- 6 cups shredded Napa or Savoy cabbage
- 2 large carrots, shredded
- 1 medium red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 medium cucumber, peeled and shredded
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon mirin (rice cooking wine, available in the international aisle of most supermarkets)
- 1 tablespoon unseasoned rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
Toss the cabbage, carrots, bell pepper, and cucumber together in a large bowl.
Whisk the soy sauce, mirin, vinegar, and sesame oil together in a small bowl to make a dressing.
Pour the dressing over the vegetables and toss to combine.
Let the vegetables absorb the dressing -- the slaw can sit at room temperature for up to 2 hours before serving, or refrigerated for up to 24 hours.
Just before serving, stir the sesame seeds into the slaw.