Siri Daly's French beef and vegetable slow-cooker stew is irresistible, especially when it's served over buttery egg noodles.
- 2.5 pounds stew beef, cut into 1-inch chunks and patted dry with paper towel
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 cups red wine (Pinot Noir or Cabernet Sauvignon)
- 2 cups beef stock
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 cups baby potatoes
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 8 ounces button mushrooms
- 1 12 oz. bag frozen pearled onions
- 2 teaspoons chopped garlic
- Egg noodles or rice
1. In a large bowl, combine beef with flour and stir to coat. Sprinkle with generous amount of salt and pepper and Italian seasoning.
2. Heat olive oil over medium-high heat in a large pan. Add beef in batches, browning 3-4 minutes per side. Transfer beef to slow cooker.
3. Turn heat down to medium and add wine, beef stock, and tomato paste. Using a spatula, scrape up brown bits at bottom of pan. Swirl together until tomato paste has dissolved. Pour on top of beef in slow cooker.
4. Add vegetables and garlic and stir. Cook on low for 8 hours or high for 6 hours. Serve atop egg noodles or rice.