This crispy, oven-baked fish served over an arugula and fennel salad is a very tasty, light, easy meal that the whole family will love.
Technique tip: Baking is a great way to get crispy fish.
Swap option: You can use cod, sea bass, haddock, hake or pollock instead of flounder.
- 1 egg
- Four 4- to 6-ounce flounder fillets
- 1/2 cup flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- Olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1/2 clove garlic, mashed to a paste or finely grated
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 ounces arugula
- 1/2 red onion, thinly sliced
- 1 small bulb fennel, thinly sliced
For the fish:
1. Preheat oven to 450°F.
2. In a shallow bowl, lightly beat egg with 2 tablespoons of water. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
3. Fold flounder to put the thin side of the fish under the thicker side.
4. Dredge only one side of fish in flour, then in egg mixture, then breadcrumbs. This process should only be done to this one side.
5. Heat oil in a large skillet over high heat.
6. Place flounder, breadcrumb side down, into pan immediately.
7. Let sizzle for 1 minute and place in oven.
8. Leave in oven until fish cooks through and become opaque on top, about 8-12 minutes.
9. Remove from oven and flip fish over.
10. Let fish sit in pan for 30 seconds for carry over cooking.
For the salad:
Place balsamic vinegar, red wine vinegar, garlic, pepper flakes and a pinch of salt into a bowl. Stir to combine. Slowly whisk in oil. Set aside.
Place arugula, onion and fennel into a bowl and add some of the vinaigrette. Season with salt to taste. Toss to combine well. Add more dressing as needed or serve on the side if desired.
Divide the dressed salad equally among four plates. Place a piece of fish on top of each salad. Serve immediately.