I love the combination of sweet, spicy and sour. These wings deliver on all three flavor fronts and are guaranteed to tantalize your taste buds.
- Oil, for frying
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 12 whole chicken wings
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
Sweet potato fries
- 2 sweet potatoes, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 bunch scallions, sliced and divided
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
For the chicken wings:
1. Preheat fryer (or heavy-bottomed pot with about 2 inches of oil) to 325°F.
2. Add flour into brown paper bag, add wings and shake bag well to coat. Remove from bag and let sit for 3 minutes.
3. Fry the wings for 6-8 minutes.
For the agrodolce:
Combine the sugar, vinegar, pepper flakes and salt in a saucepan and bring to boil to make light syrup. Once the sugar and salt have completely dissolved, remove from heat and set aside.
For the sweet potato fries:
Increase the heat of the fryer (or pot of oil) to 340°F.
Fry the sweet potato wedges until golden brown, crispy and soft in the middle approximately 5 minutes. Season with sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper.
1. Preheat grill to medium-high heat.
2. Toss the wings and agrodolce sauce together in a large bowl. Add 3/4 of the scallions and sesame seeds toss again.
3. Place wings on the hot grill and cook until lightly charred, approximately 1-2 minutes on each side.
4. Plate wings with sweet potato fries. Garish with the remaining scallions and serve.