Crickets are a great alternative source of protein. Ounce for ounce, crickets provide as much, if not more, protein than animal meat. You can buy crickets pre-roasted, warm them up and make these delicious tacos.
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 to 2 teaspoons minced Serrano pepper, seeds and ribs removed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Kosher salt, to taste
- 2 limes
- 2 cups dry roasted crickets
- 8 corn tortillas
- 1 jar tomatillo salsa, store-bought or homemade
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 1/2 cup cilantro leaves, for garnish
1. Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the oil. Add the onion and garlic and sauté until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the Serrano, cumin, and season with salt and cook for another 2 minutes until fragrant. Add the zest and juice of one of the limes and cut the other lime into wedges and set aside.
2. Add the crickets to the pan and toss to coat just until warmed through.
3. To assemble the tacos, warm each tortilla over the flame of the stovetop burner, about 10 seconds per side and place on a plate. Alternately, wrap the tortillas in a damp kitchen towel and place on a sheet pan in a low oven to keep warm.
4. Top each tortilla with the cricket mixture, some salsa, a slice of avocado, and cilantro leaves. Serve with a lime wedge.