Absolutely the perfect thing to go with your afternoon coffee or tea, these festive biscotti also make a wonderful housewarming or holiday gift when wrapped up in a cellophane bag with ribbon. Enjoy one biscotti for under 200 calories!
Make-ahead tip: The biscotti will keep at room temperature for up to 4 days.
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs, whisked
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 3/4 cup pistachios, roughly chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries
White Chocoalte Drizzle
- 3/4 cup white chocolate chips
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
For the cranberry-pistachio biscotti:
1. Preheat the oven to 350° F. Place a Silpat mat or sheet of parchment paper on a baking sheet, or coat with cooking spray; set aside.
2. In a large bowl, stir together the flours, sugar, baking powder and salt.
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, coconut oil, orange zest, pistachios and cranberries. Add the wet ingredients to the dry and combine thoroughly.
4. Separate the dough into two halves and with clean hands, form each dough half into an 8-inch long loaf on the prepared baking sheet. (Note: if dough is too sticky, place in the refrigerator for 10 minutes.) Bake for 25 minutes, or until lightly golden.
5. Let cool for 20 minutes, then transfer to a cutting board and slice crosswise into 1/2-inch wide cookies (9 or 10 per loaf). Using a spatula, carefully transfer the biscotti back onto the baking sheet (cut side down) and bake again for 14 minutes, until the tops are dry to the touch and the biscotti are hard nearly all the way through.
For the white chocolate drizzle:
1. Place water in the bottom of a double boiler and bring to a boil. (If you don't have a double boiler, place a heat-proof bowl over a saucepan of gently simmering water, making sure the bottom of the bowl isn't touching the water.)
2. Add the chocolate chips and coconut oil to the top of the double boiler, stirring until smooth. Bring the pot or bowl with the melted chocolate close to the biscotti and use a spoon or spatula to drizzle the melted chocolate over top. Let sit for 20 minutes for chocolate to dry before eating or transferring to a container. Enjoy!
Frances Largeman-Roth, RD, is a nutrition expert, writer and best-selling author. Her books include Feed the Belly, The CarbLovers Diet and Eating in Color. Follow her @FrancesLRothRD