Last November, I filmed a Food Network special called Thanksgiving Live to answer viewers' questions about cooking Thanksgiving dinner. Bobby Flay made a delicious cranberry martini to sip while we worked (what a good idea!). They look so festive and my guests loved them! Infuse the vodka with the orange zest and cranberries at least 2 days ahead. I like to use a vegetable peeler to make strips of orange zest—it’s so easy. Best of all you can prepare the entire cocktail mixture and refrigerate it for up to 3 days. Just shake with ice before serving.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup fresh cranberries
- 6 1 x 3-inch strips orange zest, plus extra for garnish
- 1 cup water
- 1 750ml bottle good vodka
- 1 cup cranberry juice cocktail, preferably tart
- 1/4 cup Triple Sec
1. Several days ahead: Place the sugar, cranberries, 6 strips of orange zest, and 1 cup of water in a small saucepan. Bring to a boil, lower the heat, and simmer for 5 minutes, until the cranberries start to pop open. Pour the vodka into a large pitcher, add the cranberry mixture, and store covered in the refrigerator for at least 2 days and up to 5 days.
2. When ready to serve, strain the vodka mixture, reserving the cranberries and discarding the orange zest. Stir in the cranberry juice cocktail and Triple Sec. Fill a cocktail shaker with ice, add the drink mixture, shake for a full 30 seconds (it's longer than you think!), and strain into martini glasses. Rub the rim of each glass with fresh orange zest, spoon a few cranberries into each glass and serve ice cold.